The publications listed on this page (although not all inclusive) represent research interests and technical expertise that are recognized among DHAPP staff members.
Material contained herein is made available for the purpose of peer review and discussion and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of the Navy or the Department of Defense.
- Truett AA, Letizia A, Malyangu E, Sinyangwe F, Morales BN, Crum NF, Crowe SM. Efficacy of Cyto-Chex Blood Preservative for Delayed Manual CD4 Testing Using Dynal T4 Quant CD4 Test Among HIV-Infected Persons in Zambia. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006;41:168-174.
- Tovanabutra S, Brodine SK, Mascola JR, Sankale JL, Sanders-Buell E, Kim B, Birx DL, McCutchan FE. Characterization of complete HIV type 1 genomes from non-B subtype infections in U.S. military personnel. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2005;21:424-29.
- Boyer CB, Shafer MA, Shaffer RA, Brodine SK, Pollack LM, Betsinger K, Chang YJ, Kraft HS, Schachter J. Evaluation of a cognitive-behavioral, group, randomized controlled intervention trial to prevent sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancies in young women. Prev Med. 2005;40:420-431.
- McCutchan FE, Sankale JL, M’Boup S, Kim B, Tovanabutra S, Hamel DJ, Brodine SK, Kanki PJ, Birx DL. HIV type 1 circulating recombinant form CRF09_cpx from West Africa combines subtypes A, F, G, and may share ancestors with CRF02_AG and Z321. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2004;20:819-826.
- Bakhireva LN, Abebe Y, Brodine SK, Kraft HS, Shaffer RA, Boyer CB. Human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome knowledge and risk factors in Ethiopian military personnel. Mil Med. 2004;169:221-226.
- Brodine SK, Starkey MJ, Shaffer RA, Ito SI, Tasker SA, Barile AJ, Tamminga CL, Stephan KT, Aronson NE, Fraser SL, Wallace MR, Wegner SA, Mascola JR, McCutchan FE. Diverse HIV-1 subtypes and clinical, laboratory and behavioral factors in a recently infected US military cohort. AIDS. 2003;17:2521-2527.
- Shafer MA, Boyer CB, Shaffer RA, Schachter J, Ito SI, Brodine SK. Correlates of sexually transmitted diseases in a young male deployed military population. Mil Med. 2002;167:496-500.
- Booth-Kewley S, Shaffer RA, Minagawa RY, Brodine SK. Effectiveness of two versions of a sexually transmitted diseases/human immunodeficiency virus prevention program. Mil Med. 2002;167:254-259.
- Boyer CB, Shafer MA, Shaffer RA, Brodine SK, Ito SI, Yniguez DL, Benas DM, Schachter J. Prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV in young military men: evaluation of a cognitive-behavioral skills-building intervention. Sex Transm Dis. 2001;28:349-355.
- Booth-Kewley S, Gilman PA, Shaffer RA, Brodine SK. Evaluation of a sexually transmitted disease/human immunodeficiency virus prevention train-the-trainer program. Mil Med. 2001;166:304-310.
- Wegner SA, Brodine SK, Mascola JR, Tasker SA, Shaffer RA, Starkey MJ, Barile A, Martin GJ, Aronson N, Emmons WW, Stephan K, Bloor S, Vingerhoets J, Hertogs K, Larder B. Prevalence of genotypic and phenotypic resistance to anti-retroviral drugs in a cohort of therapy-naive HIV-1 infected US military personnel. AIDS. 2000;14:1009-1015.
- Brodine SK, Shaffer RA, Starkey MJ, Tasker SA, Gilcrest JL, Louder MK, Barile A, VanCott TC, Vahey MT, McCutchan FE, Birx DL, Richman DD, Mascola JR. Drug resistance patterns, genetic subtypes, clinical features, and risk factors in military personnel with HIV-1 seroconversion. Ann Intern Med. 1999;131:502-506.
- Brodine SK, Mascola JR, Weiss PJ, Ito SI, Porter KR, Artenstein AW, Garland FC, McCutchan FE, Burke DS. Detection of diverse HIV-1 genetic subtypes in the USA. Lancet. 1995;346:1198-1199.